Bowen Therapy is a gentle, yet powerful technique developed in Australia in the 1950's by Tom Bowen (right). Bowen operates on the autonomic nervous system (ANS) and somatic nervous system (SMS) by way of gently manipulating a combination of the stretch reflexes, joint proprioceptors, lymphatic circulation, spinal reflexes, fascia, and the meridian system. Bowen "moves" initiate therapeutic "conversations" between the mind and body, stimulating deep relaxation and healing. These moves cue the body to heal itself.
How Does Bowen Therapy® Work?
Bowen is a unique therapy that stimulates the body to heal itself. The standard Bowen "move" consists of removing skin slack, applying pressure for a few seconds, and rolling over the muscle. This and other techniques used in Bowen intensifies the ever-present communication between mind and muscle, allowing a "conversation" to occur during which corrections are made and the healing process begins. The work first begins to lock-in during REM sleep the night of treatment. This processing can continue for a full week after treatment.
Thomas Wells is a trained Bowen Therapist and can help you if you would like to experience any of the following benefits:
- Increases energy and instills greater sense of well-being
- An effective therapy for those overcoming strokes, sports injuries, accidents and other ailments
- Increases range and fluidity of motion
- Promotes optimal lymphatic circulation
- Helps relieve pain and swelling
- Helps a multitude of conditions often resistant to traditional therapies